Bulletproof Coffee and the concept of the Bulletproof Diet
Butter in Your Coffee: the Benefits of a Bullet Coffee Diet
Can putting butter in your coffee really make a difference in your health and energy level? Yes! And that’s just one of the ways the Bulletproof Diet gives you more energy and helps you lose weight. Let’s start at the beginning.
What Is the Bulletproof Diet?
Would you like to eliminate your food cravings, lose weight, gain energy, improve your brain function, and generally feel fantastic? That’s exactly what the Bulletproof Diet delivers. The diet is similar to the Paleo diet plan, but places more of a focus on pure, toxin-free foods.
The Bulletproof Diet focuses on food quality, not quantity – meaning there’s no tedious calorie counting or food weighing. The diet offers anti-inflammatory benefits and improved overall health. So how do you follow the diet? The rules are simple.
- Healthy fats such as grass-fed butter, MCT oil, or coconut oil
- Lots of pastured, grass-fed meats such as beef, bison, and lamb
- Some pork and poultry
- Fish and shellfish (seafood should be wild caught)
- Organic vegetables and fruits
- Sugar (including fruit juices, sports drinks, and honey)
- Gluten in all its forms (bread, cereal, pasta) – but do not replace with gluten-free junk food!
- Grain-derived and unstable polyunsaturated oils (corn, soy, canola, walnut, flax, peanut)
- All synthetic food additives such as colors and flavors
- Legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts)
- Pasteurized, homogenized, and processed dairy foods
What about Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof Coffee is one of the diet’s secret weapons! It’s basically black coffee with butter and MCT oil mixed in. But just not just any coffee – and not just any butter. Choosing the right ingredients is essential to making the perfect cup of Bulletproof Coffee and accessing all of its health and energy benefits.
How to Make Bulletproof Coffee
To make one cup of Bulletproof Coffee, follow these simple steps:
- Boil one cup of filtered water.
- Use this water to brew 2 ½ tablespoons of freshly ground low-toxin coffee beans (f.e. Upgraded Coffee).
- Add a teaspoon of MCT oil (working up to one to two tablespoons over several days).
- Add a tablespoon of unsalted grass-fed butter (working up to two tablespoons).
- Blend all of this in your blender for about 20 seconds.
Simply double recipe for more coffee.
When you’re done, your coffee will be perfectly creamy, frothy, and foamy – just like a latte, but better. Don’t worry if this seems strange at first; when you’ve never heard of putting butter in coffee, it certainly can sound unusual. But you won’t be the first to be surprised by how delectable it is. Many before you have tried it out of curiosity and never turned back.
Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
So why exactly should you be drinking bulletproof coffee? Its benefits are remarkable, actually. Even those who adhere to the Paleo Diet rather than the Bulletproof Diet are beginning to adopt the Bulletproof Coffee method.
That’s because those who drink it regularly find that they have more energy, mental sharpness, and easier weight loss thanks to reduced cravings and a suppressed appetite. And there’s one more important benefit of Bulletproof Coffee: it’s delicious!
A Dose of Healthy Fats
Drinking Bulletproof Coffee first thing in the morning supplies you with healthy fats that provide energy and are good for your brain function and hormonal system. Healthy fats are also filling and won’t give you the sharp blood sugar rise and drop that refined carbs will. (Mid-morning slump after eating donuts for breakfast sound familiar?)
The right Coffee
Perfect Bulletproof Coffee starts with the coffee itself. Most coffee contains molds and other toxins that harm your health and diminish your physical performance. You’ll want carefully sourced, high-quality beans, which are not only healthier but also taste better.
Choosing the right beans allows you to reap the benefits of coffee without any of the typical side effects, such as headaches and jitteriness (which many people find they do not experience with low-toxin coffee beans). Make sure your coffee is also certified organic so that you aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals.
The Right Butter
The butter you put in your coffee matters as much as the coffee itself. Butter from grass-fed cows contains a ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids far superior to that of butter from conventionally-raised cows. As a matter of fact, grass-fed butter is comparable in good-fat breakdown to fatty fish!
And butter is superior to cream as coffee additives
MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides. MCT oil is a unique form of fat that takes fewer enzymes and less energy to digest than long-chain triglycerides. MCTs also contain fewer calories than LCTs (long-chain triglycerides) by about ten percent.
Studies have shown that MCTs have a range of benefits, including appetite suppression, positive effects on the aging process, and slight blood glucose lowering properties. Regular consumption of MCTs is linked to fat loss and improved cholesterol levels. Users report significantly better mental acuity.
Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting
There’s one more component of the Bulletproof Diet you’ll need to know about, and it’s one with major benefits. Intermittent fasting is one of the best biohacking practices there is. It is strongly linked to fat loss, muscle building, enhanced resilience and immunity, and even cancer prevention.
But many people don’t tolerate fasting well, particularly people who are very busy and need to function physically or mentally at a very high level and for whom hunger is too distracting. The problem can be even worse for those with impaired metabolisms, and these are the very people who need intermittent fasting to lose weight.
The difference with Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting is that it allows users to enjoy the benefits of regular intermittent fasting without the typical side effects of hunger and fatigue. In fact, you’ll burn fat and gain muscle faster with this method than with conventional intermittent fasting!
How is it different? The answer brings us back to Bulletproof Coffee. During your “fast,” which lasts from dinner in the evening until lunch the next day, you have your Bulletproof Coffee in the morning in lieu of breakfast.
The butter and MCT oil give you enough energy to sustain you, and the coffee is filling, so you won’t feel hungry. Many people who try this method report not feeling hungry until well after lunchtime.
Do keep in mind that to get the results you really want, Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting should be used in conjunction with the other facets of the Bulletproof Diet. You can’t fast and drink Bulletproof Coffee and then turn around and have junk food for dinner – that’s a sure fire way to slow down your progress and prevent yourself from being as healthy and strong as you can be.
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
Need more convincing that intermittent fasting is healthy? The evidence is staggering. Even regular intermittent fasting:
- Extends your life
- Improves your brain function
- Helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improves cholesterol levels
- And more!
Additional Benefits of Bulletproof Fasting
As if all that wasn’t enough, you can ramp up those benefits and add additional ones by giving your fasting a Bulletproof makeover. Bulletproof fasting is biohacking at its finest.
The MCT oil in your coffee helps your body enter ketosis (a brain-healthy fat-burning mode) faster than regular fasting. In addition, regular intermittent fasting can be difficult because of fatigue and hunger, but your high-fat Bulletproof coffee breakfast will make you feel awesome and give you lasting energy.
Coffee also increases your metabolism – plain fasting doesn’t. When you consider all of this it’s easy to see why the fat-burning, muscle-building effects of Bulletproof fasting are so striking.
How to Work Intermittent Fasting into Your Daily Routine
Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting can give you improved overall health, help you lose weight, and make you mentally sharper. And there’s nothing tricky about it. Here are the simple steps:
- Finish your dinner by 8 pm. Do not snack or consume anything but water after this time.
- In the morning, drink your Bulletproof Coffee. Low-quality ingredients will sabotage your efforts, so be sure to use pure water, low-toxin coffee, grass-fed butter, and a high-quality MCT oil. Drink as much as you want, but none after 2 pm because the caffeine can make it difficult to sleep.
- Break your fast at 2 pm. At this point, you will have had nothing but Bulletproof Coffee for 18 hours. You can always start with a shorter period of time if this is too long at first – break your fast at noon, for example.
- Eat all the Bulletproof food you want until 8 pm. That’s a six-hour window for you to fit the day’s eating into.
- Work out. Working out is optional, but it’s helpful. Keep in mind that if you exercise, you’ll need more sleep.
Have a passion for biohacking and want to see your energy and well-being kicked into overdrive? Give the Bulletproof Diet a try. There’s no better way to unlock access to your maximum health, energy, and performance.