- Alitura Naturals
- Funky Fat Foods
- Great Lakes Gelatin
- Intelligent Change
- KÄÄPÄ Health
- Life Extension
- Natural Stacks
- Neurohacker Collective
- Nordic Kings
- Nucleotide Nutrition
- On Call
- Perfect Keto
- Quicksilver Scientific
- Tru Niagen
- Warrior Coffee
10 Benefits of MCT Oil | Medium Chain Triglycerides
What is MCT oil?
MCT is an abbreviation for Medium-Chain-Triglyceride. Triglyceride is one type of fatty acid. Medium-Chain means that the fatty acids have a medium length chain.
Palm oil and coconut oil are the most important sources from which MCT oil originates. The amount of MCT’s in coconut oil equals about 65%. MCT can be considered a healthy saturated acid. Contrary to the presuppositions in the 1980’s and 1990’s, saturated fatty acids do not have negative consequences for heart and blood vessel health.
Different kinds of MCT oil
MCT oil can be divided into four subcategories. These are:
- C6 (also called Capron acid or Hexanoic Acid)
- C8 (also called Caprylic Acid or Octanoic Acid)
- C10 (also called Capric Acid or Decanoic Acid)
- C12 (also called Lauric acid or Dodecanoic Acid)
These numbers show how long a fatty acid chain is. In this case, C6 would be the shortest chain, while C12 is the longest chain. The length of the chain determines how quickly the fatty acids are metabolized as energy. Different kinds of MCT oil have their specific benefits. We will tell you all about these benefits later on.
What are the benefits of MCT oil?
1. MCT oil yields stable energy for hours on end
The advantage of MCT oil is that it is quickly metabolized into energy. As mentioned before, MCT oil has a medium chain length. Fatty acids that have a long chain are harder to convert into energy, and therefore do not have the effect that MCT oils have. Nonetheless, you still need
The advantage of MCT oil is that it is immediately transported from the stomach to the liver. For that reason, MCT oil quickly raises energy levels. Because the fatty acids are immediately broken down, they will never be stored as body fat. Contrary to medium chain fatty acids, long chain fatty acids need bile from the gallbladder to break them down. Furthermore, long chain fatty acids can be stored as body fat. If you want quick and stable
Another mechanism whereby MCT oil has a positive effect on our energy levels is by influencing our mitochondria . Mitochondria are “energy factories” within our cells. These energy factories are not only present in muscle tissue, but also in the heart and brain.
2. MCT oil helps you lose weight, and keep it off
Like stated before, MCT oil is directly converted to energy in the liver. For that reason, it cannot be stored as body fat. In one scientific study, participants were divided amongst two different groups . One group received a placebo of long chain fatty acids, while the other group received MCT oil. The participants consumed their allocated supplement every day for twelve straight weeks. After twelve weeks, the MCT oil group lost significantly more body weight in comparison to the long chain fatty acid group. What is even more important, is that the MCT oil group mainly lost weight around their waist. Abdominal fat is the hardest fat to lose in general but is also considered the unhealthiest type of body fat.
People that replace other fatty acids in their diet with MCT oil lose more bodyweight than when they consume an equivalent amount of olive oil. While extra virgin olive oil is very healthy, MCT oils would be the preferred choice for fat loss . MCT oil even seems to directly stimulate the fat loss process. This means that body fat itself will be broken down while consuming MCT oil .
Another mechanism whereby MCT oil decreases body fat is by increasing the production of heat by the body . More heat production means that calories are burned to a greater extent. This process is active, even while you might not do anything at all at that moment. This effect does not result from the consumption of other types of fatty acids. The mechanism whereby MCT oil increases energy levels is not precisely known yet.
3. MCT oil decreases appetite and feelings of hunger
There are scientific studies that show that MCT oil reduces the amount of appetite and feelings of hunger . If you are satiated, then you will automatically eat lower amounts of food. This makes it easier to follow a diet when you use MCT oil as part of your diet. An example would be people that add MCT oil to their breakfast, consume less food during lunch . The Bulletproof Lifestyle stimulates people to consume MCT oil for breakfast, amongst other foodstuffs. Usually, the followers of the Bulletproof Lifestyle add MCT oil to their Bulletproof Coffee. Scientific studies show that MCT oil suppresses hunger for a far longer term than other types of fatty acids.
4. MCT oil spares muscle mass during periods of fat loss
When you are on a low carb diet and add MCT oil, this will have a positive effect on the amount of muscle mass. People that use MCT oil during a period of fat loss have more muscle mass in comparison to people that do not use MCT oil in their diets .
For that reason, MCT oil is very interesting for athletes. This is particularly the case for endurance athletes because MCT oil is very easy to consume during competitions or training sessions.
5. MCT oil helps stabilize blood sugar levels
Having a healthy metabolism means having healthy regulation of blood sugars. The most important blood sugar regulating hormone is called insulin. Insulin causes potential sugars that are in the bloodstream to be stored in the muscle tissue. Within certain pathologies such as diabetes, overweight or Alzheimer, the metabolism of blood sugars is impaired. Luckily, MCT oil can help even in this area. MCT oil causes sugars, when they are present in the blood circulation, to increase the chances that these sugars are stored in muscle tissue as opposed to
Even for athletes MCT oil is highly recommended because of its benefits in the area of insulin. Improved insulin functioning not only means that consumed carbohydrates will be stored at the right places, but it will also mean that higher amounts of muscle mass can be won. Because MCT oil increases insulin functioning, it can indirectly increase the amount of muscle mass in the body . The reason for
6. MCT oil has benefits for the immune system
First of all, MCT oil has benefits for the stomach and colon. In order to experience these benefits, it is essential to slowly increase MCT consumption. When one consumes too many MCT oil at one sitting, this will lead to stomach issues and diarrhea. In order to convert MCT oil to energy,
Secondly, C8 MCT oil has some independent benefits as well. C8 consumption is beneficial for bacterial infections, for example . It can also act against toxic substances . Furthermore, C8 MCT oil has benefits for improving the immune system in general, as well as having some
Thirdly, C10 MCT oil has specific benefits for yeast infections . It causes the cell walls of yeast to disintegrate. Lastly, C10 MCT oil can have significant anti-inflammatory benefits for Crohn disease patients. C10 MCT oil
7. MCT oil is excellent for cooking, and even improves the taste perception of meals
MCT oils are almost
Just as coconut oil, MCT oil can be heated to very high temperatures as well. This does not cause the formation of unhealthy fatty acids or toxins. The reason why MCT oil can be heated to very high
8. MCT oil has enormous benefits for cognitive performance
The advantage of the quick energy that MCT oil generates, is that it leads to a better memory . At this moment in time, the only scientific studies that investigate the cognitive effects of MCT oil consumption are done with Alzheimer patients. Within this population group, MCT oil has proven benefits for improving memory function. For healthy people, the effects of MCT oil consumption for improving cognitive performance have not been investigated yet. But millions of experienced users of Bulletproof products
9. MCT oil has benefits even on a high carb diet
Even when you consume a lot of carbohydrates, MCT oil is a wonderful product. Dave Asprey, the creator of the Bulletproof diet, often combines carbohydrates such as sushi or rice with MCT oils. The advantage of this combination is that the body has multiple different sources of energy. First of all, the carbohydrates of the rice or sushi create (mental) energy. But what kinds of effects do MCT oils have
When you consume carbohydrates, the brain uses these carbohydrates as its preferred source or energy. When
10. MCT oil is a great beauty product
MCT oil is a great beauty product that improves beauty in several different areas. First of all, you can use it on your skin and in your hair. There have even been scientific studies investigating MCT oils and coconut products as a beauty product. When MCT oil is applied to the skin, it will act as a
You can also use MCT oil for oral hygiene. To accomplish that, put one teaspoon of MCT oil in your mouth. Subsequently, swirl the MCT oil around in your mouth for about five to ten minutes. Afterwards, the MCT oil should not be consumed, as it is full of bacteria. You have to spit it out. This method can even prevent caries and plaque
If you want more information on this topic: swirling around oils for oral hygiene is called “oil pulling”. You can find a lot of information on “oil pulling” when you search for it online.
As you can see, almost everybody can benefit from MCT oil consumption in their daily lives. It can increase mental performance as well as
Some forms of MCT oils have extra properties. Most companies that produce MCT oil do not state exactly how much MCT oils are present, and in which form they are present. In that case
Helfi sells two variants of MCT oil from the
1. Nakamura MT, Yudell BE, Loor JJ. Regulation of energy metabolism by long-chain fatty acids. Prog Lipid Res. 2014 Jan;53:124-44. doi: 10.1016/j.plipres.2013.12.001. Epub 2013 Dec 18.
2. Hughes SD, Kanabus M, Anderson G, Hargreaves IP, Rutherford T, O'Donnell M, Cross JH, Rahman S, Eaton S, Heales SJ. The ketogenic diet component decanoic acid increases mitochondrial citrate synthase and complex I activity in neuronal cells. J Neurochem. 2014 May;129(3):426-33. doi: 10.1111/jnc.12646. Epub 2014 Jan 25.
3. Tsuji H, Kasai M, Takeuchi H, Nakamura M, Okazaki M, Kondo K. Dietary medium-chain triacylglycerols suppress accumulation of body fat in a double-blind, controlled trial in healthy men and women. J Nutr. 2001 Nov;131(11):2853-9.
4. St-Onge MP, Bosarge A. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Mar;87(3):621-6.
5. St-Onge MP, Jones PJ. Greater rise in fat oxidation with medium-chain triglyceride consumption relative to long-chain triglyceride is associated with lower initial body weight and greater loss of subcutaneous adipose tissue. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Dec;27(12):1565-71.
6. Scalfi L1, Coltorti A, Contaldo F. Postprandial thermogenesis in lean and obese subjects after meals supplemented with medium-chain and long-chain triglycerides. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991 May;53(5):1130-3.
7. Rego Costa AC, Rosado EL, Soares-Mota M. Influence of the dietary intake of medium chain triglycerides on body composition, energy expenditure and satiety: a systematic review. Nutr Hosp. 2012 Jan-Feb;27(1):103-8. doi: 10.1590/S0212-16112012000100011.
8. Van Wymelbeke V, Himaya A, Louis-Sylvestre J, Fantino M. Influence of medium-chain and long-chain triacylglycerols on the control of food intake in men. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 Aug;68(2):226-34.
9. Krotkiewski M. Value of VLCD supplementation with medium chain triglycerides. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Sep;25(9):1393-400.
10. Eckel RH. Hanson AS, Chen AY, Berman JN, Yost TJ, Brass EP. Dietary substitution of medium-chain triglycerides improves insulin-mediated glucose metabolism in NIDDM subjects. Diabetes. 1992 May;41(5):641-7.
11. Han JR. Deng B, Sun J, Chen CG, Corkey BE, Kirkland JL, Ma J, Guo W. Effects of dietary medium-chain triglyceride on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in a group of moderately overweight free-living type 2 diabetic Chinese subjects. Metabolism. 2007 Jul;56(7):985-91.
12. Fryburg DA1, Jahn LA, Hill SA, Oliveras DM, Barrett EJ. Insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I enhance human skeletal muscle protein anabolism during hyperaminoacidemia by different mechanisms. J Clin Invest. 1995 Oct;96(4):1722-9.
13. Khoramnia A, Ebrahimpour A, Ghanbari R, Ajdari Z, Lai OM. Improvement of medium chain fatty acid content and antimicrobial activity of coconut oil via solid-state fermentation using a Malaysian Geotrichum
14. Jeppesen PB, Mortensen PB. Colonic digestion and absorption of energy from carbohydrates and medium-chain fat in small bowel failure. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1999 Sep-Oct;23(5 Suppl)
15. Harrison LM, Balan KV, Babu US. Dietary fatty acids and immune response to food-borne bacterial infections. Nutrients. 2013 May 22;5(5):1801-22. doi: 10.3390/nu5051801.
16. Rojas G, Jiménez JM, Gutiérrez JM. Caprylic acid fractionation of hyperimmune horse plasma: description of a simple procedure for antivenom production. Toxicon. 1994 Mar;32(3):351-63.
17. Omura Y, O'Young B, Jones M, Pallos A, Duvvi H, Shimotsuura Y. Caprylic acid in the effective treatment of intractable medical problems of frequent urination, incontinence, chronic upper respiratory infection, root canalled tooth infection, ALS, etc., caused by asbestos & mixed infections of Candida albicans, Helicobacter pylori & cytomegalovirus with or without other microorganisms & mercury. Acupunct Electrother Res. 2011;36(1-2):19-64.
18. Voor meer
19. Galvin JE. Optimizing diagnosis and management in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease. Neurodegener Dis Manag. 2012 Jun;2(3):291-304.
20. Agero AL, Verallo-Rowell VM.A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Dermatitis. 2004 Sep;15(3):109-16.
21. Voor meer
22. Asokan S, Rathan J, Muthu MS, Rathna PV, Emmadi P; Raghuraman; Chamundeswari. Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2008 Mar;26(1):12-7.
23. Asokan S, Emmadi P, Chamundeswari R. Effect of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. Indian J Dent Res. 2009 Jan-Mar;20(1):47-51.